Friday, January 15, 2010

Unexpected Informant


What began as a dull trip to a local book store became a motivating learning experience. Looking for the best textbook prices, my boyfriend and I make the trek to Book Nation on Wabash Avenue. Once inside, I noticed an entire table filled with books about Terre Haute and Indiana history. Remembering my blog, I decided to skim through the books for inspiration. Seeing a picture of Paul Dresser, composer of “On the Banks of the Wabash,” I explained to my companion that he was the brother of Theodore Dreiser, for which a building is named on Indiana State's campus.

Overhearing our conversation, the proprietor asked if we were interested in Terre Haute history. I explained my unusual English assignment, and discovered the owner of Book Nation was a fantastic source of information. Todd Nation, City Council President, took the time to explain the history of the building in which we were standing. Unknowingly, I was standing in the building shown on the cover of my textbook.

The building’s official name is the Kaufman Building. It was built in 1908, making it the city’s first high rise office building. Nation informed us of stairways between street level stores that allowed customers access to the second and third story businesses. Since the picture was taken circa 1927, the building has housed many different tenants. In 1927, some of the businesses included: Kaufmann Grocery, Wade Duncan Café, Crescent Shining parlor, Federal Bake Shop, and Martin’s Photo Shop. In the year 2010 there is an Asian Market, Book Nation, Crossroads Café, and the Verve, a local bar. While the second and third floors once housed businesses, they are now used for either storage or private residences.

This unplanned learning experience showed me that if you keep your eyes open, knowledge will fall into your lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment